According to Mark Roemer Oakland, a well-maintained and beautiful doormat can be used as a tool to greet your guests properly. And, in order to select a proper doormat for your needs and keep it in good condition, you need to learn a few important details about them.
Here are a few important points you need to know about doormats:
- Types of doormat materials – It is crucial to learn about the different types of doormat materials since it would allow you to choose a suitable product depending on your requirements.
Here are some of the most popular doormat materials:
- Rubber – Rubber doormats are easy to wash and maintain since they are eco-friendly and resistant to water. Plus, they are highly comfortable barefoot.
- Polypropylene -Polypropylene doormats are made of thermoplastic propylene monomers that make them strong, hard, and resistant to bacteria. They are non-eco-friendly but since they don’t slip, they are suitable for washrooms.
- Microfiber – These are a blend of microfiber and polyester which make them highly absorbent and super soft. These are suitable for colder climates since microfiber door mats can absorb snow.
- Coir – Coir mats are made with the fibrous, outer husks of coconut shells. These are eco-friendly outdoor mats.
- Outdoor vs indoor mats – Outdoor mats need to be sturdy, highly absorbent, and resistant to extreme weather fluctuations since they are placed at the entrance of a house or office. Rubber mats and coir mats are great for the outdoors since they are resistant to UV rays and weather changes and efficiently absorb the dirt from your shoes respectively.
Indoor mats need to be soft on your feet since they are placed indoors and are used mostly when you remain barefoot. Polypropylene and microfiber doormats are good options for indoors since they are non-slippery and great at absorbing dirt and moisture from your feet.
- How to pick a doormat for your house – When shopping for doormats, it is crucial to consider whether they would be used indoors or outdoors. Next, you need to consider the material type and your budget.
Ensure you choose a product with a good design and suitable color that will match the decor of the space. Most importantly, ensure you select products from a good brand and those that have a good warranty and reviews.
- How to maintain your doormat properly – The best way to maintain a doormat is to keep it clean so that it can absorb dirt better. It is also important to monitor the doormat for signs of damage such as frayed-out corners, stains, and worn-out spots that cannot be fixed easily.
It makes no sense to clean doormats that are damaged extensively, and they should be replaced with new door mats as soon as possible.
Mark Roemer Oakland suggests you replace your doormats every six months or sooner if you notice signs of damage due to drastic weather changes, extreme temperatures, and the frequency of use. You can follow the best practices to keep your doormat clean and extend its lifespan, but it is important to replace it if it cannot keep the dirt out of your home.